Reduce Everyday Toxins and Improve Your Health!
We are surrounded by toxins every.single.day. They are in everything we eat, the products we use, and the air we breathe, which is why many just consider these toxins to be normal. While that may be true, what is also true is these toxins are indeed messing with our health. Even though we cannot eliminate all toxins from our lives, we surely can do our best to reduce them. Reducing the amount of toxins in our daily lives will most certainly allow our immune system to stay strong, our metabolism to function properly preventing unnecessary weight gain, and our hormones to stay balanced.
Toxins, Metabolism, and Hormones
Toxins come from pesticides, herbicides, genetically modified foods, as well as a handful of synthetic hormones in most of our typical grocery store meat. We also find them in lipsticks, facial cleansers, face creams, body lotions, cosmetics, prescription and over-the-counter drugs, protein supplements, fire-retardant materials in furniture, and even the air we breathe. They are hiding in an endless list of products we use every day.
When many of these toxins are absorbed by the body, they actually act like estrogen! Some theories proposed by experts in this field feel that this exposure is causing girls to enter puberty earlier and even breasts to develop in some boys. These toxins are called Xeno-estrogens and are believed to increase the risk of breast and ovarian cancers and endometriosis and other estrogen related diseases.
Another very important hormone that is believed to be affected by toxins is testosterone. Testosterone is necessary (in both males and females), for hormone balance muscle growth and metabolism and becomes overwhelmed with this fake estrogen. This excess estrogen raises insulin insensitivity (familiar with Type II Diabetes?), which can lead to those unwanted extra pounds. There are many studies out there, many where the results from one directly conflict with the results of another. However, one thing they all can agree on is that toxins do in fact mess with your overall health.
How to Limit Toxins
Your body is meant to be able to eliminate toxins from your body, but only in small amounts, and only if your immune system isn’t already busy fighting off other problems. Therefore, here are some simple ways to reduce the toxins in your life and feel better in your day to day life:
- Eat real food. Avoid processed and packaged foods. Eat as much organic food as possible as well as meats produced locally without the use of synthetic drugs.
- Get rid of the chemical-filled cleaning products in your home….right away! Switch to more natural ones or homemade ones.
- Skip the scented items like soaps or candles, or use only those scented with essential oils.
- Buy second-hand clothing! Believe it or not, it is likely to have less chemicals than new clothes because they have been worn and washed already. Or…if you must buy new, wash the new clothing several times before wearing.
- Limit the products you use on your skin, or simply switch to more natural brands. There are many companies out there now that provide natural alternatives to your favorite products.
We live in a toxic world, but that doesn’t mean our health has to suffer. Just making one of these simple changes will decrease the amount of toxins you come in contact with each day, and that is a good thing!
Need a coach in your life to help you navigate some of these waters? Our coaches at OPEX Franklin develop holistic, individual programs for each of our clients for not only workouts, but lifestyle and nutrition as well. And…the first get-to-know-you consult is always free…(and enjoyable!)
Other articles related on toxins:
Check out this article on Is Your Protein Powder Poisoning You?
Check out this recipe for a toxin free, 2 Minute Meal.